Require that visitors scan their ID during sign-in for an added layer of security. Envoy notifies your administrators if a visitor’s ID isn’t recognized, so they can act quickly to approve or deny their entry.
Supported forms of ID
Envoy currently recognizes government-issued US or Canadian IDs. This includes driver’s licenses, passports, U.S. military IDs, and permanent resident cards. Visitors with other forms of ID will require an administrator’s approval for entry.
How ID scanning works
Once a visitor taps the screen to sign-in, the iPad prompts them to scan their ID with the iPad’s camera.
The scan checks the ID for barcodes or other security features that can match the criteria for determining a valid US or Canadian government-issued ID. Envoy does not yet check the ID against government watch lists or other databases.
If a visitor’s ID isn’t recognized, the iPad screen directs them to wait for assistance.
Your ID scanning contact(s) then receives a notification that a visitor needs their approval to enter the building.
Your ID scanning contact logs in to the dashboard and chooses to approve or deny access to the visitor.
- If access is approved, a badge prints for the visitor and the visitor’s host is notified of their arrival.
- If access is denied, the badge does not print and the host is not notified. We also recommend that your ID scanning contact initiate security procedures to ensure the visitor does not enter.
Anyone who isn’t an ID scanning contact sees a “pending” message for that visitor in the visitor log until they are approved for entry.
Setting up ID scanning
Step 1: Enable ID scanning
- Go to Visitors > Security.
- Find ID scanning and click “Enable.”
Step 2: Add ID scanning contacts
- On the Visitors > Security page, under ID scanning notification, click “Choose an ID scanning contact.” « Note: The ID scanning contact must be a Global, Location, or Front Desk Admin. Learn more about Envoy’s roles and permissions. »
- Start typing the administrator’s name, and select it when it appears.
- Click “Save contacts.”
- By default, Global Admin(s) can approve or deny access to visitors whose IDs aren’t recognized at any location, and Location Admin(s) can approve or deny visitors at their location.
- These admins will not receive ID scanning notifications unless they’re added as an ID scanning contact.
Step 3: Using the dashboard with ID scanning
You can display the ID scanning status on the dashboard.
- ID accepted: The ID presented by the visitor was successfully scanned.
- Access approved: An ID scanning contact or Global/Location Admin manually approved the visitor’s entry.
- Access denied: An ID scanning contact or Global/Location Admin manually denied the visitor’s entry.
- Not required: The visitor was not required to scan their ID at sign-in.
ID scanning and GDPR
The ID scanning feature currently does not comply with EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Envoy scans IDs through an integration with IDScan.net. This feature is optional and turned off by default, therefore Envoy does not list IDscan.net as a subprocessor within our Data Processing Agreement. Your data will not be sent to IDscan.net as long as this feature is disabled.
If you have any questions, reach out to Envoy support at [email protected]