Google Hangouts Chat integration
Google Hangouts Chat is a business communication platform developed by Google which includes messaging, video chat, SMS and VOIP features.
How does this integration work?
Envoy will automatically send a Google Hangouts Chat message to your employees when their visitors arrive.
Envoy + Google Hangouts FAQ
Q: What are the prerequisites for Google Hangouts Chat?
A: You need a G Suite account to access Hangouts Chat.
Q: Can the Envoy Bot send a direct message in Hangouts Chat?
A: The G Suite API currently does not support direct messages for bots.
Enabling the Envoy + Google Hangouts Chat integration
- Go to Integrations > All integrations.
- Under host notifications, find Google Hangouts Chat. Click “Configure.”
- Authenticate with Google. If you are not currently logged into Hangouts Chat, you will be prompted to do so.
- To access Google Hangouts Chat go to https://chat.google.com.
- Copy the connection command from Envoy that resembles:
In order to connect, select the Room in which you would like the bot to post host notifications, then type in @Envoy to select the Envoy Bot and then paste the connection command to initiate the setup. a. Hint: Consider creating a Room called “Visitors” in Hangouts Chat if you do not want to add the bot to another channel.
- Back in the Envoy Dashboard dashboard, you’ll see that the integration has been enabled after refreshing the page. Click “Complete Setup” button to save your changes.
- To receive notifications from the Envoy bot, an employee must be listed with the same email address both in your employee directory and in Google Hangouts Chat.
- We recommend testing new features before engaging your whole team. On the Envoy Visitors app, sign yourself in as a test visitor, select yourself as the host, and review the notification you get from the Envoy bot.